A new theory has emerged following Wednesday's horrific discovery of the bodies of three women on Brighton beach. Earlier on Thursday (May 14), Sussex Police revealed two of the trio were sisters with the formal identification process under way.
A source from the Coastguard service now suggests the women may have misjudged the depth to which the beach can suddenly drop. The pebbled beach around central Brighton and the Palace Pier is notorious for having steep slopes, which swimmers are continuously warned can be incredibly dangerous. "It's feared at least one of the women went into the water for a paddle and was then suddenly dragged into danger after misjudging the shingle shelf," a Coastguard source has said. "If you took one pace out thinking it's flat you could go down two feet or more very quickly.
"That can turn things very dangerous very quickly," the source added, according to The Sun.
Emergency services - including a dozen police officers, vans and cars as well as the HM Coastguard Search and Rescue officers - rushed to the seafront just before 6am on Wednesday (May 13) after concerns for the welfare of a "single person" in the water close to a car park on Madeira Drive. When they arrived, two more bodies were recovered from the sea nearby.
Sussex Police has said formal identification procedures are underway, but will not name the women until this process is complete. The three young women's next of kin have been informed and their loved ones are being supported by specialist officers, the force added.
Chief Superintendent Adam Hays said on Thursday: "This is an utterly heartbreaking tragedy, and my thoughts are with the loved ones of these three young women after their devastating loss.
"They will remain at the forefront of our minds as we search for the answers their families, and the wider public, desperately seek. This is a sensitive investigation that includes a number of hypotheses, and it would not be appropriate to speculate as we to continue to gather evidence.
"I would once again ask for the public's patience while we establish the full facts, which will be shared publicly as soon as we are able.
"Anyone with information that could help is asked to contact police online or via 101, quoting Operation Ledmore."
Sussex Police believe there is no evidence to suggest third-party involvement or criminality.